Sunday, May 9, 2010

WK1 Response to Jill Davis - Free Choice: Reading, Giving

WK 1 – Free Choice: Reading, Giving

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wow! What a wonderful chapter! And how ironic, I gave the first chapter an A, and the third chapter gave me an A! Now I can work at giving myself an A as well. For me, it is much easier to give others an A than myself an A. This was a powerful chapter for me on a personal level.

In my classroom, I do give each student an A. This only began several years back when I noticed how much one struggling child hated kindergarten. She was my weakest student in regards to working with content. She was always the last one finished and often needed help. I, as well as her peers, regarded her as behind. Our speech therapist reminded me that all students bloom at their own time. No matter how much we fertilize them or water them, they will not bloom until they are ready.

The next year, my lowest content student happened to be really wonderful at art. I made sure to point out to the class his abilities. It was amazing how the class and I regarded him as talented and how it helped him to bloom. By being perceived as an A, he shined as an A.

From that time on, I made it a point to really focus on each individual child's special talents. Like Michelangelo once said, “Inside every block of stone or marble dwells a beautiful stone.” And as Zander found, in the universe of possibility, we can help each child to be viewed as gifted in _____.

Also, in regards to mistakes, I often tell my students we all make mistakes; that is how we learn and grow. But I am most excited to add lifting our arms in the air and saying, “How fascinating!” when we make a mistake.

Sources:

Zandler R., & Zandler B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Photo taken by Jill Davis.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

1 Comment

Ashley Burch

Oh give yourself an A already! Jill, you have come so far and you are doing great! I love the picture by the way. It is the cutest, arms up and wide-eyed.

It must be so challenging to teach kinder because each child is at a different developmental level. I wouldn’t know the first thing of what to teach or how to motivate them. You have a tough job and you are a wonderful teacher. I love how you talked about your artistic student and highlighted his talents to the other students. “By being perceived as an A, he shined as an A.” Amazing. I bet he is so proud to have a teacher who sees him for who he is and is proud of that. And yes, it is wonderful to make mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment