Sunday, May 30, 2010

WK4 Reading - Creating Frameworks for Possibility


I read that “as a species we are not always ready to reap the benefits of harmony, peace, and plenty” (Zander & Zander, 2000, p. 162). I did not know that seeing this kind of world involves a leader or being a leader within myself.

I read the way Zander addressed his musicians in Brazil, how scolding them was not the answer. Instead it was praising their wonderful music, then asking how they would like to be seen by the Brazilian people. I still would have yelled and screamed at my kids for pulling stunts like this, but if they are expecting it, I have seen no realization actually sets in and it does no good. Kids are kids.

I remember Morgan Freeman’s words in The Shawshank Redemption. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. The Marriage of Figaro is beautiful. That was the first time I had ever heard it and the vision of the world just stopping and listening comes to mind. It is very liberating to just listen to this song. I love how Zander explains how a vision can take you away from local problems and in an instant change the frame of mind, allow you to create goals even.

These are very powerful words of Marianne Williamson.

We were born to Manifest the Glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us: it is in everyone

Again Zander has used life experiences of others and himself to conclude this chapter. As I am coming to the end of this book, I only hope that my vision stays strong and true. The feeling and motivation to see things a different way is apparent while reading, but the practice of doing so after the book is closed is another story. Like Zander says, it does take practice.

Reference:

Zander, R. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility: Transforming professional and personal life. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.

Image: Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment